The sweetness of the basil and the tartness of the lemon come together in this delicious and creamy dressing! Just add all ingredients to a blender or food processor, mix well, and refrigerate until ready to use!
Yield: 12 ounces of dressing (10 to 14 servings)
Note: Refrigerate for at least 2 hours after blending to allow flavors to blend. It can also be made for up to three days before use. Add the dressing to the salad just before serving.
- One-half cup of sour cream
- One-half cup mayonnaise
- One-half cup chopped scallions
- One-half cup packed chopped fresh basil (stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove minced or grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One-half teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
Instructions: Prepare the fresh produce and dry ingredients first before measuring the more sticky wet ingredients.
Prepare your work area by getting out your:
Remove the stems from one cup of fresh basil leaves and cut the leaves into small pieces. This should produce a one-half cup of tightly packed basil pieces. Add to blender.
TBK Tip: Use kitchen shears to remove stems and cut them into small pieces.
TBK Tip: grate the garlic into a small bowl. The pieces will be very small and sticky and the small dish will help to contain them.
- Add one teaspoon of salt to the blender.
- Add one-half teaspoon of ground black pepper to the blender.
- Add one-half cup of sour cream to the blender.
- Add one-half cup of mayonnaise to the blender.
Blend for two minutes or so, and check to make sure the mixture is smooth with no chunks. Blend until smooth.
TBK Tip: If you are having problems getting it all smooth, strain the mixture using the Straining System (cheesecloth bag and wide mouth funnel and canning jar with lid.)
Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend. Enjoy!
TheBlindKitchen.com offers adaptive tools, helpful strategies, and specialized knowledge to blind and visually impaired people who want to cook safely, confidently, and independently. Our collections are available online as are our short instructional videos. Shipping is always free! Everyone has a place at the table in The Blind Kitchen!