This make-ahead cheese ball appetizer is a welcome addition to serve at any party! The strategy is to have bright green and red spots of color against a snowy white background, so the colors are the star of the show – besides the taste of course!
Yield: 16 half-ounce servings
- One eight-ounce package of room-temperature cream cheese
- One cup of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- One-fourth cup of finely diced red bell pepper
- One-fourth cup of finely diced green bell pepper
- One Tablespoon of finely diced green part of scallion
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- One-half teaspoon seasoning salt blend of your choice
- One-half teaspoon of liquid smoke
Step 1: Put the cream cheese into a medium bowl to allow it to soften as it comes to room temperature.
Recipe Tip: To bring the cream cheese to room temperature more quickly, cut it into smaller pieces so more surface area is exposed to the air and it will soften faster.
Step 2: Prepare the produce:
- Finely dice one-fourth cup of red bell pepper. Set aside.
- Finely dice one-fourth cup of green bell pepper. Add to the red bell pepper and set aside.
- Finely dice one Tablespoon of the green parts of the scallions. Set aside.
Recipe Tip: Use the Slicing Guide to make sure the bell pepper is a consistent width. Once you have cut the bell pepper into strips, use kitchen scissors to easily cut them into similarly sized pieces. Do the same with the scallions.
Step 3: Shred one cup of white cheddar cheese. Set aside.
Recipe Tip: Because the sharp white cheddar cheese will not be melted in this recipe, using pre-shredded cheese is fine. If you do shred the cheese, use the Cut Glove to protect your hand while shredding.
Step 4: On slow speed, beat eight ounces of softened cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
Step 5: Season the cream cheese:
- Add 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Add one-half teaspoon seasoning sale blend of your choice
- Add one-half teaspoon liquid smoke
TBK Tool: Wet Measure Spoons
Blend all ingredients and adjust seasonings to taste.
Step 6: Mix in 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese.
Step 7: Gently fold in the produce (red and green bell pepper pieces and green parts of scallions) taking care to distribute them throughout the cream cheese mixture without bruising the produce.
Step 8: Use a cheet of plastic wrap or one of our elasticized and reusable dish and bowl covers to shape the cheese mixture into a round ball.
TBK Tool: Hanging Bag and Covers
Step 9: Refrigerate for at lease one hour so that all flavors rehydrate and meld together.
Serve in an attractive dish surrounded by crackers or baguette slices.
TheBlindKitchen.com offers adaptive tools, helpful strategies, and specialized knowledge to blind and visually impaired people who want to cook safely, confidently, and independently. Our collections are available online as are our short instructional videos. Shipping is always free! Everyone has a place at the table in The Blind Kitchen!